Friday, March 30, 2012

Junk Makes You Sick ~ Life Lessons from Pizza and Exercise

If you follow my blog you know I have been trying to exercise. Well, I've been doing really well at getting it in everyday - my muscles are actually sore, thank you very much!

The other day, it was late in the afternoon before I could get my exercise in. Because of our schedule that day/evening I had ordered pizza. It arrived just as I was starting my workout. Of all the days when I could have handled the pizza guy being  a little late...

Anyway, I had really just started the warm up and I knew if I ate first I'd never get my workout in, so I set the kids up to eat and went ahead and exercised. It was a good workout.

Then I ate dinner.

Which was pizza.

I think you see where I'm going with this. My body had just done something really good for it. It was recuperating from the joy and pain of moving things that it doesn't normally have to or get to move. Then I threw pizza at it. Which is not the healthiest of foods.

Three hours later I still felt sick.

We do this so often in life. We go to church or Bible Study or even our own quiet times and focus on God. We stretch our spiritual selves. We grow in faith and ability.

Then we get in the car and fill our ears with song lyrics that God certainly didn't write. We go to work or school or the grocery store and mistreat people. We gorge ourselves on the things of this world and it makes our spirits sick.

If I eat junk everyday I am going to have a very hard time getting better results from my exercising. The muscles I need to use aren't getting the right fuel. The same is true in our spiritual lives. If we don't feed ourselves the things of God then our faith will not be as strong as it could be at the moment when we need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment