Friday, February 3, 2012

Life Lessons from Eyeglasses Part One

Image: twobee / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
I just took my daughter to the opthamologist. It turns out she's quite farsighted. And while it is very likely that her prescription will weaken as she ages, she'll likely be in glasses the rest of her life. I knew when we went that glasses were likely to be the outcome of the visit. What I didn't expect was the strength of her prescription.

Considering the strength of the glasses on order, I'm stunned at how well my daughter functions. She has learned all of her letters, can identify most of the major cartoon characters, and is a whiz on the computer. She does all of this without seeing properly which is why she has also been running into walls, sticking her face an inch from said computer's screen, and crossing her eyes when she tries to focus on something. She has no idea what kind of detail the world actual holds because it's all blurry to her. I've been blessed with good eyesight so I don't know what it is to look at something and not see it. I can't imagine what things must be like for her.

How often are we like that? We seem to be functioning well in this world - volunteering at church, spending time with our families, and enjoying a certain measure of success in our chosen professions. The question is, are we missing the best of the stuff that God has created for us? Are we running into the same issues over and over again? Or maybe we find ourselves manipulating situations into something that fits better with our perceptions and lifestyles?

Image: arztsamui / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
I don't know what will happen when my daughter's glasses come in. I know it's going to rock her world to discover Mommy has eyelashes. I hope it will ease some of her frustration when she can't quite seem to do something (like open a door because she can't find the doorknob!). In the meantime, I'll be a little more understanding when I ask her to find something and she can't or when I question her about what something is and she says "I don't know."

As soon as I discovered how much my little girl couldn't see, I wanted to run that prescription to the nearest one hour glasses place and fix it immediately. But she needs special lenses and special frames that have to be ordered. I think it will be a good thing. I have two weeks to watch her function and think about what areas of my life as I seeing incorrectly. What God-made blessing am I missing because I choose to look through my own eyes instead of of the lenses of God's?

No comments:

Post a Comment