Tuesday, July 17, 2012

That Crazy English Language ~ What Almost Kept Me From Becoming A Writer

Confession time! I don't know how to diagram a sentence. I don't actually know what a participle is, dangling or otherwise. Whatever it is that makes a tense perfect eludes me completely.

In short, other than spelling, the crazy ins and outs of the English language and it's accompanying grammar befuddle me. I think it's a combination of the fact that it's complicated and that I've never learned it.

My husband can't even spell, so he frequently bemoans our native language.

I saw this picture on Facebook last week:


I laughed so hard because it is completely true! 

The thing is, the intricacies and absurdities of the language kept me from pursuing writing for years. I have always wanted to write. I have a box of stories and book projects from when I was in school, but somewhere along the way, the passion to write got dampened by my inability to properly place a comma. 

Now, nearly twenty years after my first attempt to write a novel, I've learned something. You can't let what you can't do keep you from doing what you can do, especially if it's something you love. Most of the time what you can't do, is something you can learn or can bring someone in to help you with. 

What have you wanted to do but felt a major roadblock stood in your way? Did you find a way to move it?

Because of spammer problems I have had to close the comments on this post. I apologize for the inconvenience. 


2 comments:

  1. I like the one about the foreigner who gave up trying to learn English when he read the headline "Bazaar Pronounced Success." ;)

    ReplyDelete