Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Student Forms and Marking Milestones

Tis the season for paperwork. With three kids heading back to school I've filled out numerous medical releases, general info forms, and who knows what else. Most of it's your basic stuausff: name, address, phone number, allergies, the person you want us to call in case your baby is having a life-threatening crisis and neither you or your husband can be reached. (I hate that blank, by the way. It makes me think of all the bad things that could happen.)

There's one blank most people don't think about much unless they're in the throes of an unsuccessful job hunt.

Occupation.

Like your address or your phone number, it's not a blank you have to think real hard about. You just fill in the appropriate information. I went from student to systems analyst. Then I became a stay at home mom. Simple. Easy. Done.

Then I started writing. Writing is a funny thing. You can work as a writer for years before having anything to show for it. Hours upon hours of writing and editing, but nothing to point at or show people. It makes it hard to say you're a writer, because the following conversation inevitably ensues:

Other Human: What do you do?
Me: I'm a writer.
OH: Wow. That's neat. What do you write?
Me: Romance novels from a Christian worldview
OH: Cool. Can I buy it/get it/see it?
Me: Well. No. Right now I've got a blog and I'm submitting my book places.
OH: *awkward silence*

But I did it. A little over a year ago I started putting "writer" in that little blank. I had a blog. My writing was out there for the world to see. I didn't consider myself a blogger by trade since that wasn't where I was focusing my energy. So I put and said writer and let the awkward silence come because whether that other human knew it or not, calling myself a writer was a big deal and I was proud of myself for taking that step. I still felt a tremor of trepidation with every form I faced.

Until this year. This year I welcomed those student info forms with anticipation and a new pen. This year I didn't put "writer" on that occupation blank.

This year I put "author".

Because this year I have a contract.

"My Lord Valet" or whatever the title ends up being will be available from Bethany House Publishers in Fall of 2015. 

Stay up to date with all the news by joining my email list. 

18 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A palm-stinging high-five to you! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle! It's pretty exciting. :)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on that 4-book contract, Kristi Ann! Fantastic news!☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blogger seems to be eating my comments, so apologies if this shows up as a duplicate, but . . . congratulations! When I was writing at Regency Reflections with you, I saw your dedication to writing, and it's so cool to see that all that hard work has come to fruition. I'm so happy for you! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica! It was great working with you for those few months. Will you be at ACFW? We could connect in person.

      Delete
  5. My great plan failed. On the ACFW loop, I embedded the link to here, wanting to drive the traffic here for you. Instead, everyone emailed me telling me that was your blog not your email. Sheesh. The best laid plans and all that. ROFLOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay! I appreciate the effort. :)

      Delete
  6. Awesome, Kristi! Congratulations! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am SO excited for you. Just saw your news. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! That's awesome news. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait to share these characters with everyone.

      Delete
  9. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Lindi told me the other day, and I've been waiting to see the news before saying anything. But then you buried it in a blog!!! LOL

    I'm so, so happy for you! Enjoy filling out those forms from now on. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. ;) I've giggled a bit with every form I filled out this week.

      Delete