Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Musical Inspiration: Steal My Show

I love music. Music can drive an emotion, evoke a memory, or spark a thought. It works into your mind, providing an easy way to take the thought or feeling with you.

There's good and bad things to this.

The bad thing is that if a song sparks an inappropriate thought or sad emotion, it can be difficult to get rid of it. On the other hand, music's inherent ability to marinate in your brain makes it a great source for inspiration.

Whenever I'm working on a new manuscript, I turn to music to help me get to know my characters. I usually end up with a playlist of about ten songs that helps me define the main characters' arcs. I play it while I'm planning and writing and it helps with my character consistency.

It's not often I find a song to inspire my writing career as a whole, but recently I did. I think it's been out for a while and I've even heard it before, but I really listened to it a few weeks ago. It's now my theme song for my writing as a whole.

tobyMac: Steal My Show

http://youtu.be/KA_HoEC9ixc

You don't have to be pursuing a career in the public eye for the message of this song to resonate with you. Take time this week to let God have center stage in your life no matter what you're doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment