Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Uniqueness of the Universe ~ Jacob's Journal

This is a guest post by Jacob Hunter. Once more I have welcomed my wonderful hubby to the blog to share his theological thoughts and musings. 

I enjoy watching documentaries. I especially like the ones that deal with how things are made or how things work. Recently, I have been Netflixing a series titled "How Stuff Works." Just like most scientific programming you have to take parts of it with a grain of salt. They were doing a really good job on the series and I was learning a lot of really cool stuff. Then it got to season 2 episode 8. The only thing I can figure is that it got a completely different producer and writer. The whole feel of the show changed. They even changed the way the shows where named. Every episode up until this point was a one word title like: corn, salt, rubber, water etc.

The title of season 2 episode 8 was "How Summer Changed the World." It was a collection of world changing events that has some lose connection or another that was affected by the fact that there are seasons. The one that really caught my attention was the segment on how summer allowed life and specifically a large amount of different life (biodiversity) to live on planet earth.

I just sat there and watch and wondered "are you really listening to yourself, do you really understand how mind boggling impossible the things that you are attributing to chance are?" The authors of the show were very willing to see the uniqueness of all the conditions required for the earth to sustain life but not give credit to the creator and sustainer of that life. Watching this vividly punctuated Paul's words in Romans 1:20;

 From the creation of the world His invisible attributes, that is, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what He has made. As a result, people are without excuse.

A couple of years ago a new mechanic started working at my current place of employment. We got to know each other. He knew that I had gone to Georgia Tech and that I was also a minister. One day he came to me and we were talking and he asked me, "Jacob, how in the world can a man with all of your education believe in God?"

My short answer to him was, "How can I not. Nothing I have been taught precludes the existence of God. On the contrary, it generally points to the necessity of God."

Dumbell Nebula, Picture from NASA, no endorsement implied.


Just a few Unique things about God's creation that are necessary for life that where brought out in the television show:
1. The tilt of the Earth.
2. The moon and its effect on the Earth.
3. The exact distance the Earth is from the Sun.
4. The delicate balance of minerals, elements, and compounds. Not the least of which is water.
5. The size of the Earth.
6. The strength of the force of gravity (actual all of the different forces; magnetic, strong, weak, etc. Any of which if they were the minutest bit different the universe let alone our world would not exist.)

The statistics are astounding...

I have to stop myself here. I could go on and on about probabilities and statics and drowned the whole message of this article in numbers but I will refrain.

The point I want to make is that God is AMAZING and he has made this wonderfully Unique creation specifically and unique for mankind so that His Love and Grace can be shown.

I will end with a quote from one of my Facebook friends. He didn't attribute an author to it so I am not exactly sure where it came from but I think it is a great reminder that everything in creation is unique and one-of-a-kind.

"God Is a Hand-Crafter, not a mass-producer"

No comments:

Post a Comment