Friday, December 21, 2012

Succeed Creatively ~ Life Lessons from the Family Craft Project

I'm addicted to Pinterest. There are so many wonderful ideas on there for crafts, decorating, cooking, really just about anything you would be interested in.

I particularly like it for finding neat things to do with my kids. I was so excited when I saw this picture for a fun Christmas craft that would hopefully keep curious little fingers off the family Christmas tree.
Cute, huh? If you want to make your own, you get get the super simple instructions here. Just scroll down to the bottom of the page. 

Now, these are apparently really popular this year, because as soon as I plopped the green felt on the fabric cutting table at Hobby Lobby the lady asked me if we were putting a tree on the wall. So I looked around and, sure enough, these suckers are on lots of family crafting blogs. You can see a really nice one here. (I couldn't find contact information to get permission to use the pic, so you get a link instead.)

I really liked the idea of this and thought it would be a fun craft the kids could participate in. They fought, they screamed, they helped me cut the shapes. And our tree looks like this:
Yeah.... just a little different there.... The little white spots were supposed to be the lights, just in case you were curious. 

At first, I was a little bummed and more than a little frustrated with how our tree was turning out. This wasn't the way we were supposed to do it. This isn't how it was supposed to turn out.

But then I watched my daughter happily slapping felt scraps around and realized that what was really supposed to happen was that I spent time with my kids and they learned to make things and do things themselves and find joy in simple things like the fact that felt sticks to itself.

And the smile on her face as she hacked up a square of felt was worth a lot more than a show-worthy craft.

So many times we forget to dig down to the deeper intention of what we're doing. We look on the surface and it doesn't look like we thought it would and we get upset. But we forget to look and see if the intention was achieved. Did we set out to do what we really meant to do? If we did, then we didn't fail. We just succeeded creatively.

Like my tree. It isn't a fail. It's just unique. And my kids love it, which is all that really matters.

Besides, if our tree had looked perfect, I wouldn't have gotten a blog post out of it.

What is the last creative success you had?

No comments:

Post a Comment